Wing Chun Kung Fu
Your health and well-being are important to Us and We want you to be as comfortable and as safe as possible during your Wing Chun Kung Fu Martial Arts training and classes . It is perfectly safe to train and attend classes with the majority of medical conditions. However please check the information here and if You are in any doubt please contact Your own medical practitioner regarding Your specific medical condition. If You have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact our dedicated team of instructors who will help and guide you where required.
Training with medical equipment
Some medical equipment can be brought in to the classroom where required however please make the instructor aware of this in order for them to safeguard both yourself and current students in the event of an emergency and so that that We can accommodate You.
- We advise You to take Your medication before or after class
- Please bring a letter from Your medical practitioner confirming the type of medication and what it is for
- We are unable to refrigerate medication at our schools or classes.
You are not allowed to bring needles and syringes into the classroom environment for treatment of medical conditions.
Cardiac pacemakers or other devices including those powered by lithium batteries, implanted in a person or radio-pharmaceuticals contained within the body of a person as a result of medical treatments are permitted however you must make the instructor aware at all times that you have these fitted.
Training whilst pregnant
Expectant mothers Although pregnancy is not considered to be a medical condition and You are able to train at the beginning/duration of Your pregnancy however it is not recommended by our Wing Chun Kung Fu schools to far into your pregnancy to over exert yourself, please note that:
- You do so with the strict understanding of your chosen decision to train without pressure or obligation from our Wing Chun Kung Fu schools
- You make the instructor fully aware and other students of your pregnancy and your wish to train.
- You seek direct permission from your medical practitioner with an authorising letter submitted to our Wing Chun Kung Fu schools
- You have read and accepted our Wing Chun Kung Fu schools Insurance policy information.
- Full training equipment is worn at all times
- If You have experienced or experience any complications during your pregnancy that you consult Your medical practitioner before resuming your training
- You can train up to the end of the 34th week for single pregnancies
- If You are expecting more than one baby You can train up to the end of the 28th week
Guidance for diabetics
If You have diabetes and require injections You must self-administer the injections in private and are requested to advise the instructor and team of Your condition when attending your complimentary class and regular training classes. Please ensure that You carry supplies of insulin in Your training bag.
We are unable to guarantee an allergy free environment within our Martial Arts schools. If You have any kind of allergy that could result in an anaphylactic reaction You should carry Your medication (e.g. antihistamines, Epi-pen) in Your training bag.
Please be aware that We may sell peanuts in our schools. However, if You suffer from anaphylaxis please notify the instructor and team on your complimentary class or regular training classes so that the sale of nuts can be prevented. We will also request that other students do not consume nuts that they have brought with them; however We can not guarantee this.
Please be aware that it is the students responsibility to consult a medical practitioner and seek advise to the guidance to restart physical exercise and training following any illness, The following list is only a sample of illnesses and operations and is for guidance purposes only.
Training after an illness or operation
|Type of surgery||Training allowed after|
|Heart Surgery||28 days|
|Abdominal surgery||6 weeks, please consult medical advise|
|Chest surgery||6 weeks, please consult medical advise|
|Tonsils removed||7 days|
|Middle ear surgery||Ear cavity is dry and normally aerated (usually 14 days)|
|Cataract/corneal laser surgery||7 days, please consult medical advise|
Following recent surgery a medical certificate is required confirming Your fitness to train.
|Type of medical incident||Permitted to train|
|Heart attack||8 Weeks if it is minor or uncomplicated
For major or complicated heart attacks consult a medical practitioner before training
A medical certificate is required confirming fitness to train
|Stroke||21 days following an event, a medical certificate is required confirming fitness to train|
|Pneumothorax||When the chest has been drained and the lung has fully expanded (usually 14 days). A medical certificate is required confirming fitness to fly|
|Penetrating eye injury||7 days|
|Type of condition||Permitted to train|
|Angina||Only if the condition is stable with confirmation from a medical practitioner|
|Middle ear infection||Once condition has cleared (usually 7 days)|
|Sinusitis||Once condition has cleared (usually 7 days)|
|Chronic anaemia||Permitted to train subject to certificate confirmation from medical Practitioner (Light training only)|
|Epilepsy||24 hours after a tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure|
|Asthma||Permitted to train
Keep Your inhaler(s) in Your training bag
Severe asthma – provide a medical certificate confirming your fitness to train
Nebulisers are permitted provided that they do not contain oxygen cylinders
|Lung conditions (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; cystic fibrosis; bronchiectasis)||Only if a medical certificate is provided confirming fitness to train|
Students showing a shortness of breath are not permitted to train and must stop immediately, Children with respiratory problems must have a certificate from an appropriate medical practitioner confirming their fitness to train.
Students recovering from a minor infectious disease, including any of the following conditions, are permitted to train in accordance with the guidelines in the table below.
|Infectious diseases||Permitted to train|
|Rubella||21 days after the appearance of the rash|
|Measles||21 days after the appearance of the rash|
|Mumps||When all swelling has subsided (usually after 7 days)|
|Chicken pox||28 days after the appearance of the last new spot|
|Viral infections (e.g. seasonal flu)||When no longer contagious|
Students with a severe infectious disease (e.g. severe respiratory infections, tuberculosis, pneumonia) will not be accepted for class without a certificate from an appropriate medical practitioner confirmation their fitness to train. Students with meningitis or infected with any virus resulting from a pandemic such as SARS or H1N1 (”Swine Flu”) will not be accepted for class and this must be made aware at your initial complimentary class.
Psychiatric disorders Students with psychiatric disorders are permitted to train, subject to the following conditions:
- If You are suffering from conditions such as phobias, anxiety or depression you should advise the instructor and team of Your condition when attending a complimentary class;
- If You have a history of drug or alcohol dependency You must be stabilised on a detoxification plan and must have a certificate from an appropriate medical practitioner confirming fitness to train. You must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of training;
- The safety of our customers and instructors is our first priority at all times. Our instructors will prevent anyone training, regardless of condition, if they consider them a safety risk.
Dermatitis, Skin conditions and other disorders
Students with skin conditions are permitted to train, subject to the following conditions:
- If you are suffering from dermatitis, general skin or other skin conditions please advise the instructor and team of this.
- Be mindful of your training partners and wear the appropriate clothing so not to cause distress to others.
- The health and wellbeing of our customers is always our main priority and any discomfort within the classroom environment will be raised (In private) where necessary.
- Please bring to class all appropriate creams, lotions and clothing where required.